52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week 2 Winter

Week 2: Winter. What was winter like where and when you grew up? Describe not only the climate, but how the season influenced your activities, food choices, etc.

I grew up in the town of Mount Prospect located in Cook County, Illinois.  We had wonderful snow storms when I was little.  My brother and I would make forts, throw snowballs, and snowmen.  As I became older I was not thrilled to be the target of snowballs that my brother and the neighborhood boys would throw at us girls.  I do remember sledding with friends down a big hill near our home.  Snow days were another source of fun, I loved staying home when it was cold.  Nothing could top a day reading, watching tv or just hanging around the house.  The morning after a storm we would sit in front of the tv or listen to the radio to hear the list of schools that were closed for the day.  Later when I was in high school I realized the cost of snow days - more days in school when the whether is nice!

Snow lost it's appeal when I was a teenager.  Walking home in the snow and ice from school was the pits!  Dressing for the walk did not lead to a high fashion experience.   Later on when I learned to drive the snow scared me and ice became the enemy. 

Thank you to Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog (http://wetree.blogspot.com/) for this years pompts: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy 

Comments

You're welcome for the prompts. Thank you for participating!

Popular posts from this blog

Poundstone Family death certificates

Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium

52 Ancestors: #1 William Adolph Emil Skibbe