Christmas Memories and Mom's Birthday

Well I have over 20 dozen cookies in the freezer, most all my Christmas gifts purchased (some not yet received) and feeling ready for the holidays.

My mother's birthday just pasted on November 13th and this year I thought I came up with the best gifts.  First a fix for her Santa collection, a Santa and cat from the Jim Shore Collection and then a DVD of  Kukla, Fran and Ollie 1949-1954 that I found at the Chicago Historical Society store.


Mom shared Kukla, Fran and Ollie with us when we were little.  She had records (45's) of some of the shows and she played them for my brother and I.  She also sang their silly songs often and loudly when our friends were around.  That fact was forgotten until my mother called the other day and started singing the Kukla, Fran and Ollie theme song rather than saying hello when she called.  A downside yes, a happy mom priceless.  The whole singing episode with Mom made me think of the upcoming Christmas holiday.  It was right after Thanksgiving that Mom would start tuning in the Cinnamon Bear radio show.

The Cinnamon Bear radio show told the story of  Judy and Jimmy who while in their attic found a passageway to "Maybeland".  The children searched for the silver star that belonged on the top of their Christmas tree.  During their search they meet Paddy O'Cinnamon and the Crazy Quilt Dragon that stole the star. Their adventures would begin with an episode at Thanksgiving and ended at Christmas with nightly episodes.  The show had a suspenseful aspect and as a child I was excited to hear what happened each night.  I remember Mom tuning in the large stereo and playing it loud enough to hear in the kitchen, dining or living room.  I think Mom played the series because it was one of the few times my brother and I would be quiet and not fight so that we may hear the show.

Well like I said the gifts are just about finished - that is except for Mom's.  I am not sure if I can top her birthday present.  Any suggestions for a seventy-ish mother from Chicago now located in North Carolina please send them to me! 

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poundstone Family death certificates

Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium

52 Ancestors: #1 William Adolph Emil Skibbe