Tuesday, November 29, 2011

RootsMagic 5 and new relatives thanks to two Wisconsin online sources

 I have spent part of the morning playing on the new RootsMagic version 5.  What I see I like a lot.  It appears that a few items (some citations) did not make the conversion and will need to be updated with the new software.  I really like the new timeline, the new screen for adding media and citations, the whole thing seems easier to read.  I can't wait to start working on the research log.  It is about time someone incorporated one for use with our software!  I am looking forward to the RootsMagic webinar What's New In RootsMagic 5 at 5 pm MST to see all the latest bells and whistles.


This weekend has been very enlightening.  I located some additional relatives on Gary's side of the tree thanks to a few Wisconsin sites.  I found quite a few clues at the Wisconsin Historical Society website at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/genealogy/.  The information is free but they do charge for a fee of $15 per copy for birth, death and marriage certificates.  I need to check and see just how much the state and counties charge.  The other site that I use quite a bit in Wisconsin for Gary's Polish and Slavic relatives is the Archdiocese of Milwaukee Catholic Cemeteries website at http://www.cemeteries.org/genealogy.asp.  This site offers age and date of death, last known address, marital status, date of burial, Funeral home, and allows you to search nearby burials.  

No comments: